Erica's Birth Story
>> Friday, March 30, 2018
So... I guess I should post Erica's birth story here on the old, neglected blog... since all the other kid's stories are here. Basically, this is for me. If anyone else reads it, cool. Enjoy.
Erica Lynsie Davis was born on 9/1/17. She weighed 10 lbs 3 oz. I honestly don't remember how long she was, or what time she was born at. You'd have to ask her Daddy.
The last few weeks of my pregnancy were rough. I had a blood pressure spike in the midwife's office on a really bad day, and was very closely monitored after that point. I passed every test, aced every ultrasound (except the one three days before she was born when my 10 lb baby mysteriously went breech and back within one hour. That was nuts), and never had another poor BP reading. It was during one of these "routine monitoring" visits at triage in the hospital that I went into labor. I was 5 days overdue, 3 cm dilated, and had just had my membranes stripped. I was also ALONE at the hospital, because we had decided that Tim couldn't continue to come to these appointments every three days, just in case they kept me. So I spent the first hour of labor alone and insecure. That was hard!
This labor was different. In length it was just like Eden's, 4'ish hours long... but it had a personality all of it's own. I'm normally up and about for the entire labor, or in the tub. This time I just sat on the bed, silent. Tim said afterwards that I looked like a monk, tailor sitting with my hands on my knees. I was so quiet that he didn't even know when a contraction began/ended most of the time. This was highly unusual for me. Another unusual thing was that I could FEEL my cervix dilating, and leaned into it effectively. It was a really neat feeling.
This is my first birth that did not have a midwife present. My dear midwife went on vacation just after my due date. I wasn't upset with her but I was understandably disappointed. However, I still have not been attended by an OB in birth. In fact, this hospital birth technically had the least oversight of any of my births. Ha! Erica was delivered by her Daddy and a very startled nurse.
Traditionally, when I'm in transition my babies are posterior. This delivery was no different, though I had no knowledgeable midwife confirming this... I am simply going off of what I felt. With the other babies I have gotten up on my hands and knees during transition, baby has turned and come soon after. I could tell that I needed to do the same thing this time around... and so I got on my hands and knees. Except, when I got on my hands and knees it didn't take 5 minutes to an hour for baby to arrive... it took roughly 90 seconds... and I never got out of hands and knees position... and baby never turned. I gave a "practice push" and suddenly her head was completely through my cervix and she was COMING. My uncharacteristically silent labor changed suddenly into an uncharacteristically loud one, as I SCREAMED "Tim!!!! CATCH THE BABY!!!!" and continued screaming until she was born. One legit push and she was out. Sunny side up... April the giraffe style. (I found this fitting as I had stalked April the giraffe for much of my first trimester, lol) The OB arrived a few moments later and proceeded to lecture me on not waiting for her. HA! As if I had a choice in the matter.
I was floored to realize how large she was. I'd had more ultrasounds than ever before in a pregnancy, and they had assured me she was in the 8 lb range. I'm thankful I didn't know differently. And considering she basically fell out... I guess 10 lb babies aren't as big a deal for me as I expected. Not really something that I wanted on my resume, but I guess I'll have to take it. :-)
Erica has been a joy from day one. She's a content, precious baby who is the newest joy of our home. I'm so thankful to God for her!!! And now her birth story has been recorded.
0 comments:
Post a Comment